Monday, October 26, 2009

Engine Mounts Done

I've been spending about 30 mins each day Cutting Grinding Welding ...
The battery boxes are about half completed ...
But i'm finished with my first attempt for the motor mount.
I've mainly used 40x3mm angle iron with double 20x3mm strip for the banding.

This is the right hand side ...

And the left ...

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Welding Woes

Well after speaking with a couple of welders, I decided to give it a go myself.

I took my angle grinder to the boot and cut out the largest "non load bearing" section I could.

I purchased about $60 worth of angle iron, borrowed a $100 arc welder and went at it.

I've never touched a welder before, but i'm quite enjoying having a go.

Many of my welds look a bit messy ... but I can always get them redone once I have designed the boxes. Here is a photo of the rear battery box about half done.

I was really just practising with this rear battery rack because the most difficult job was making the new engine mounts and front battery rack.

After about a week of practise, I started working on the engine mounts.

Here is a photo of the motor in the car ... I have about 15mm play between the firewall chassis on top and the power steering rack below. You can see just above the motor, one of the two existing engine mounts I need to utilise.

As there is only one mounting bolt on the outside of the motor housing, my initial plan is to create a flat beam between the two engine mounts for the motor to rest on and then attach the beam to the mounting bolt and steel belt to stop rotation.

A weekends effort cane up with these ...

I don't know if it will be sufficient, but i will wait until i install these two before I create any more.