Thursday, December 10, 2009

DC-DC Converter installed

For now I am going to use a small car battery to power the car's 12V system ... With a DC-DC converter to recharge this battery off the main pack (kind of like an alternator).
I am going to try and mount both the battery and the DC-DC converter in the standard battery position.

The first problem I had to face was that the DC-DC converter closely resembles a computer power supply. So the last thing I wanted was for dirt or water to be sucked through the unit.
My first idea was to buy an airtight food container and mount the DC-DC converter (and a few other things) inside ... Here is the container I picked up from K-Mart ... It is slightly larger than the DC-DC converter.Then:
I mounted the DC-DC on one side leaving an airgap below
I drilled out another side of the container for air intake and made a foam filter
I installed a 12V extraction fan on the lid
I installed the 50A shunt for the low voltage ammeter
I installed 2x 12V relays with their own fuses (for the power steering pump and vacuum pump)
I installed a 40A DC circuit breaker for all the cars remaining 12V power.Basically what this unit does is the car battery 12V positive power goes in one end ... runs through the shunt ... splits in 3 (the 3 large bolts on top) for the power steering, vacuum brake booster and remainder of the car. All while keeping my DC-DC converter and relays away from any dirt under the bonnet.

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Pot Box Installed

While i'm still awaiting delivery of my controller, another job that can be done was to mount the potentiometer and connect it to the standard throttle cable ...
Once again I have gone crazy with the welder and made a custom mount for this.I found a nice spot for this in the centre of the firewall just above the electric motor.
Since I haven't decided where the controller will be mounted as yet, having the pot box centralised should give me plenty of cable length later on.
It's a bit hard to see from these pics but at the top left of the metal mount I have added an extra piece of steel with a mounting hole for a second return spring.
I haven't sourced one yet but it is part of Australian guidelines to have a secondary return spring in case of failure.
Here are a couple of picks how the engine bay is looking at present.

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Power Steering Pump Installed

It's been a while since my last post, but I did complete a few tasks in November.

With my front battery rack near completion, I began the task of finding mounting positions for the extra equipment needed under the bonnet.
The electric power steering pump is one of these.
I've been having so much fun with my new found welding skills that I decided to knock up a custom mount for the pump to attach it to the firewall near where the car's original 12V battery sits.

Here is a pic of the Power steering pump mounted in the car.
I had to source a custom high pressure line for $80 from the local hydraulic hose supplier ... but was able to recycle some of the 300zx old Power steering lines for the return feed.
I still don't know what car this pump was originally from ... but it looks fairly heavy duty.
I have powered the pump up to check that it works ok and to test out my relay wiring.
As the high pressure line weaves amongst my front battery rack, I haven't filled it with fluid as yet.
Once I am convinced I won't need to adjust the front battery racks any more, I'll test out the steering and my hose connections.